CHANGED: CRUSH Colorectal Cancer 5K Goes Virtual
This post was modified on March 20 to reflect new details and instructions for the virtual effort.
Due to concern for the health and welfare of our patients and their families and friends, and in order to comply with official Duke policy, the Duke CRUSH Colorectal Cancer 5K Walk/Run Committee, after much consideration, has decided to change the seventh annual Duke CRUSH CRC 5K walk/run, scheduled for March 21, to a Virtual 5K Walk/Run on the same date.
Duke University, Duke Health, and Duke School of Medicine leadership have been coordinating response efforts to COVID-19, the clinical disease caused by the novel coronavirus. An official decision was made last night by these entities to cancel or virtualize any Duke-sponsored in-person event with expected attendance of more than 50 people taking place on-campus or off-campus at least through April 20.
The annual Duke CRUSH Colorectal Cancer 5K Walk/Run event — hosted by the Duke Cancer Institute Gastrointestinal Cancer disease group to raise funds for colorectal cancer research, boost awareness of the disease, and build community — typically draws hundreds of participants.
"We each plan to individually walk or run at 8am on March 21 in our own neighborhoods, to honor our patients, loved ones, and community members that have been affected by colorectal cancer," explained CRUSH event organizer Wanda Honeycutt,RN, BSN, CCRP, and research practice manager with Oncology CRU (Phase 1, GI, Melanoma, Hematology/BMT and Cancer Center Research Lab). "We are encouraging all of our participants to do this, if they are able. We hope that you will understand and continue supporting the fight against colorectal cancer."
- The virtual event has been set up on the Nike Run App. Download is free, and once you’ve downloaded the app, friend Jo Leicester who is organizing the run within the App. You’ll know it’s her because her icon is a picture with Pluto at Disney! Once you friend her, she will invite you to the virtual challenge (CRUSH 5k 2020).
- Please share your walk or run with us! We’d love to see photos of you out ‘Crushing It’ during the 5K. Please tag @DukeCancerInstitute on Facebook and Instagram, using the hashtag #Crush5K2020. We will do LIVE Facebook & Instagram stories of individuals who’ve uploaded photos of their participation in home CRUSH events.
- There will still be prizes! Prize categories include:
Most photo likes (from CRUSH album on the DCI Facebook page)
Fastest runners (from those timed in the app)
- T-shirt distribution has been delayed and participants have been informed.
- Those who have not yet registered for the now-virtual event are encouraged to sign-up at CRUSH Colorectal Cancer 5K Walk/Run.