Alliance A011202 (Breast Cancer)
What is the Purpose of this Study?
Who Can Participate in this Study?
Adults with breast cancer who:
- Have spread to the lymph nodes
- Had an axillary ultrasound and biopsy
- Are not pregnant or nursing
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Have an examination of your lymph nodes during surgery
-- If your lymph nodes have cancer in them, you will be randomized (put into one of two groups by chance like the flip of a coin) and get either:
--- Group 1: More lymph nodes are removed during surgery and you will have radiation therapy
--- Group 2: Radiation therapy
- Have a physical exam every 6 months for the first 2 years, then every year for 3-5 years after your radiation therapy is complete