WATCH RECORDING: The Importance of Primary Care in Early Cancer Detection
UPDATED AUG. 12: This event has concluded. Watch Recording
Duke Cancer Institute's Office of Health Equity hosts their latest "Conversations with Our Community" virtual event — this one focused on the critical role that primary care physicians play in early detection — on July 20 at 6:30 p.m.
Anita Pisharody, MD, a Duke Health family medicine primary care provider, and Rosie (Ruhiyyih) Kilgore, MD, MPH, a Lincoln Community Health Center staff physician are the featured panelists in this public forum entitled "Find your Home: The Importance of Primary Care in Early Cancer Detection."
"Primary care providers play a critical role in routine cancer screenings, early detection, maintenance and treatment of comorbid conditions. However, due to various socioeconomic factors, many patients lack proper access to care," explained OHE program manager Angelo Moore, PhD, RN. "During this virtual event we will discuss ways to reduce cancer disparities by connecting community members to primary care and patient navigation."
Registration is free and required. This event is open to all community members, so please share with others.
Attendees must register by July 20 at 5pm. After registration is completed, a Zoom link for the webinar will be provided.
For questions call 919.684.0409 or email Aretha Rice (Aretha.Rice@duke.edu).
Learn More About the Duke Cancer Institute Office of Health Equity
ACCESS the DCI Office of Health Equity website
Vision: To excel as the leader in reducing cancer disparities through authentic community engagement and partnerships, the delivery of seamless cancer care, and the provision of outstanding and innovative research and resources to achieve optimal health in a changing and diverse environment.
Mission: To reduce cancer disparities and promote health equity within Duke Cancer Institute's catchment area through strategic initiatives that integrate the following core areas:
- Community Outreach & Engagement
- Community-Facing Patient Navigation Services
- Health Disparities Education
- Clinical Trials Education & Workplace Diversity
OHE Community Conversations Archive
- WATCH RECORDING: "Barbershop Talk— Let's Have a Man to Man Discussion About Prostate Cancer" (recorded on 9.14.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: “What’s in Your Blood? A Look into Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Multiple Myeloma” (recorded on 8.19.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "The Importance of Primary Care in Early Cancer Detection" (recorded on 7.20.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "Do I Say “Yes” or “No” to Research Participation? (recorded on 5.18.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "What you need to know about prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral, head, and neck cancers" (recorded on 4.15.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "Prevention & Screening in Breast and Cervical Cancer" (recorded with the Mexican Consulate in Spanish on 3.30.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "Colorectal Cancer: Early Detection Saves Lives” (recorded on 3.22.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: How Studying Genes Can Lead to More Personalized Cancer Care (recorded on 2.24.21)
- WATCH RECORDING: "Cervical Cancer: Early Detection Saves Lives" (recorded on 1.24.21)